Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Unexpected ER Visit

So Steve's body decided to get appendicitis the day after Steph's wedding and two days before we're supposed to leave for Disneyland. He went to bed Saturday night with a stomach ache, woke up Sunday with it still aching, went home early from church to 'sleep it off', stayed in bed all day, didn't do any homework and emailed his teachers to tell them he wasn't coming to school the next day. By this point I figured it was probably appendicitis because he kept complaining that most of the pain was on his right side. I decided to take him to the hospital Monday morning before I went to work. But when I tried waking him up he insisted that he'd be fine-he'd just sleep it off. When I got home from work, Steve was at his parents house still sick in bed. So I took him to the hospital....

We spent about 4 hours in the Orem Community Hospital ER while they torted him with an IV, anema, and CT scan to see if he really had appendicitis or not. Sure enough-he did! We then drove down to Utah Valley Regional Hospital where we waited a few more hours before he finally went into sugery at 9:00 pm. The surgery only lasted about an hour and all went well. Steve had to stay in the hospital over night which wasn't the greatest experience for him-the nurses kept waking him up at odd hours of the night so he didn't get very much sleep. Tuesday morning I scrambled to find someone to sub my class while I went back to the hospital to be with Steve. He was released from the hosptial around noon and Steve insisted on us still driving to Disneyland that day. So while I went back to work, Steve packed up the truck for our road trip to Disneyland. Crazy huh?

It's been a fun adventure and he's recovered pretty well. Disneyland was fine for him-we just kept him druged up with pain meds. :-) We're still waiting to meet with the doctor again to give us the all is well.

Here's some pictures of his hospital visit...

"Get me outta here"


The three bandages soon to be scares and his newly shaved belly
(They did the surgery through his belly button)

1 comments:

Jan said...

You are becoming such a regular blogger. You surpassed me, that's for sure. I am glad Steve is doing well. I am always afraid my appendix will burst.