Saturday, March 27, 2010

GPC What?

After three years and a much needed visit to the eye doctor, I discovered I have Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis (GPC). Basically, I wore my left contact for too long (probably about 6 months) without replacing it and doing so irritated my eyelid. So the doctor banned me from wearing contacts until it clears up and I have to put $200 eye drops in my eye three times a day. Luckily, my insurance covered $150 of the cost. But still, $50 is a lot for a little bottle of liquid! And now I have to wear my glasses for at least a month. :-{ It took me a few days to adjust to the change. The glasses I have are the same pair from high school so the prescription is a little off and they're slightly out of style. Too bad I don't have the money to buy some new stylish ones. But oh well, I guess that's what I get for being negligent. And it's the first problem I've had in the 13 years I've worn contacts so that's impressive. :-)

P.S. It really didn't hurt too bad. Just felt like an eyelash was in my eye all the time and it was constantly watering. The watering part was a little embarrassing when I was trying to debrief with my principal about his observation. I was wiping my eye the whole time.

3 comments:

Candace said...

Sounds terrible. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Jessie said...

Good luck with that, that makes me think that I need to be more careful because I always wear my contacts longer than I'm supposed to...

Ty Lyman said...

My oldest refuses to take out his contacts at all. I've told him that he's going to get ulcers or something horrible. I'm glad you posted this, maybe I can share it and he'll the dang things out. It's not like we have more eyeballs we can just trade for right???