Saturday, February 26, 2011

An Update on Our House

Well, we've had a lot happen with our house this winter. We started off with a mice infestation. I think we ended up killing about 15 before we finally stopped seeing or cleaning up after them. I just hope they don't ever come back because exterminators charge outrages prices. The list of things goes on... One Sunday I decided to put potato peelings down the disposal. Ya, I won't be doing that again. Steve was up all night trying to unclog the drain. Thanks Steve for fixing my mistake! Then one of our above ground pipes in our side yard decides to break again like it did last winter. It was shooting an Old Faithful a few feet into the air and created a 4 inch pool of water in our backyard. We thought we had fixed it already. But apparently not. So we went about 5 days with no water while Steve fixed it. On top of that, we came back from our trip to Disney World and our heater was broken. All three of us slept that night bundled up in our bed with socks and sweatshirts on because our house was 50 degrees cold. It took about a week or two and several visits from the heater technician to finally get it working again. The odd thing is, it wasn't working right after the technicians last visit but it just randomly decided to start working a few days later. Then Steve accidentally shatters the glass window to our fire place and gives up on trying fix it. On top of all that, we hear the many sounds of a construction site through all hours of the night. But I think I'm gradually starting to get immune to it. Oh, and we now have ants in the kitchen again. One morning I found a long line of ants on my counter leading from the sink to a wrapper from a Reese's that was left out. But ants aren't as bad as mice so I try not to complain too much. I just drown them without feeling guilty. :-) Having all these eventful events happen with our house has made us rewrite a list of what we want in our next house. It's kind of a long list too. :-)

Even though we've had these little mishaps, we've also been having fun doing some remodeling. We got a new bed spread and painted our bedroom, we painted the bathroom and tiled the bathroom floor, and now we're working on painting the baby's room. It's been fun to see what a little paint and touch ups can do to make the house look better. It's also fun to have a little change. I'll have to post some pictures. And our next big project will be remodeling the kitchen!

The beginning process of redoing the bathroom floor
(After we had painted the walls from yellow to blue)

The finished product! I love it!
We painted the cupboards white-they used to be an ugly dark brown.
I also got a bigger mirror, new light fixture, and a new double towel rack that I love. Oh, and Cathy miraculously got all the hard water deposits off our tub! Now it looks new. 

Our bedroom used to be blue with a blue and silver bedspread. And now...
It's a sage green with an elegant bedspread.
 I eventually would like to get matching night stands and lamps and a sliding mirror closet door. 

Coops room after he upgraded to a tall dresser so we can put the changing table dresser in his sisters room. P.S. He can recognize his written name. And I really don't think he'll be moving out of a crib anytime soon. He hates going to bed. :-)

The gradual paint process of our baby girl's room. So far, it's taken a week to paint the stripes and we still need to do touch ups, paint the chair rail and base board, put up the Mickey and Minnie border, stencil paint some hibiscus flowers on the top half, and arrange all the furniture. :-) But we LOVE the stripes!

0 comments: